Steve Duckett

Steve Duckett
Owner

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lojack...what a rip

I get this awesome laptop for my birthday, core i5 processor , 1 GB Video etc etc.  It comes with Lojack.  Now if you are not familiar with Lojack, it is a piece of software that is used if someone steals your laptop...the premise is that they will be able to locate it with ip addresses, gps, wifi etc.  So your thinking to yourself...what a great idea, right...wrong.   I get an e-mail from them yesterday stating that they can't communicate with my laptop..I guess they do scheduled location tests.  So here is the killer....ready?.... the reason they can't find my laptop with their tests is that i turned off the software in the laptop...and it was easy..not because i am a tech...I was just speeding up my laptop and shutting down unneeded services...yup it was that easy..just shut down the service..now if it is that easy to do, why wouldn't a thief just turn off the service as soon as he steals it.  After all it is a Dell and Lojack is standard on it.  So it gets stolen Lojack is turned off and bang...my laptop is gone...Lojack is free to start but they actually have the gull to charge for this garbage...amazing !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment